Monday, August 29, 2011

Kindergarten: Week One

No, I don't plan on blogging about the goings-on at Kindergarten every week for two reasons. 1) I would lose blog readers in heartbeat! and most of all 2) I really have no idea what goes on at Kindergarten. The most we can get out of our boy is "I don't remember," "I don't know," or a one-shoulder, are-you-STILL-asking-me-what-I-did-today shrug.

But I think the first week of the next 20 years of my life is toooooooootally blog-worthy. Because I know I have some real-life friends who can relate. I know. So, the rundown:

Day One: Dropped off at classroom. Caleb walked in like a champ. A little shy and slow-moving, but excited and smiling. Mom did not even cry. Got a green star for the day. (that's a good thing.)

Day Two: Dropped off in cafeteria. Clung to Daddy's leg for a few minutes until teacher took his hand and he stood beside her. Mom did not cry. Got another green star for the day.

Day Three: Dropped off in cafeteria. Teacher wasn't in the cafeteria today. Caleb clung to Daddy's legs and after numerous trips to the hallway to chat, became upset and did not want us to leave him. Principal intervened (I LOVE HER!) and screaming fit ensued. Mom and Dad left him in the cafeteria, bucking and screaming "Daddy! Daddy!" Mom cried all the way home, and then cried some more at home. Teacher called 30 minutes into school day to say Caleb was doing fine and calmed down very quickly after we left him. I still got teary off and on until we picked him up for the day. Stinker ended up getting a BLUE star (better than green) and 5 fuzzies (it's a reward system - fuzzies are like money).

Day Four: We decided to wait the few minutes until the class was in the classroom instead of the cafeteria. Worked wonders. Caleb put his backpack, lunchbox, snack, and folder up without help and walked right in. Green star. Mom wanted to cry tears of joy but didn't.

Day Five: Same as day four. Really really great, independent boy who was happy to be at school. Green star.

Except for Wednesday's dropoff, our first week of Kindergarten was a huge success. It's hard for a mama bear to be okay when she leaves her cub kicking and screaming in the arms of another person. It's easy for that negative moment to overshadow the entire week. But getting all written out makes me realize how awesome our funny little guy is. He is so ready for this school thing! One little hiccup in the whole week.

Here's to another 35 weeks of awesomeness! Maybe someday I'll get used to waking up at 6:45 again. But I'm not counting on it!

1 comment:

Liz said...

So glad that his first week, for the most part, was great! It will continue to get better & better and the poof... all the sudden it'll be summer again & you will be able to sleep past 6:45. And believe me....THAT is the hardest part of going back to school for my household every year! Love my sleep!!